Mommy, Paxton, Ryan, Brookie, Jocelynn, &Daddy

Mommy, Paxton, Ryan, Brookie, Jocelynn, &Daddy

Sunday, January 6, 2013

The New Edition

     Lets go back a few months, 4 months.... On September 4th 2012, at 11:53p.m. our little Paxton was born. It has been a while, and believe me I have been wanting to write. SO today I finally get to put on record Paxton's birth.
            Living in Globe there isn't much to choose from when it comes to OB doctors. We quickly realized that the doctor here was not one that we would like to go to, their was just a clash of opinions, so we decided to go for a doctor in the Valley (the valley is about 90 minutes from Globe), however he drove up every other week to work with our family doctor in Globe. I really like our family doctor so I trusted he would only have the best of the best from the valley working for him. Well luckily for us it worked out great and we really liked Dr. Doswell. He was really great and it was nice that we didn't have to drive down to the valley for every appointment, excepts towards the end, but the downside was that we were going to have to deliver at Banner Gateway which was in the Valley, an hour and a half away. With Jocee's delivery only being 3 hours I was a little nervous. Aaron had just started his job at working out at the college and one day I had asked if he had his phone on him during class and he said he always left it in his office. I politely reminded him that he had a pregnant wife that would like to be accompanied during the labor process, after that he made sure to carry his phone! But really if I waited until I was in labor I'm not so sure I would have made it. It probably would have taken Aaron 20 min to get home then if I was prepared (which lets be honest I like to procrastinate!) I would have to load the kids things in the car and drop them off which would be like 15 min. then just the drive to the valley, I would be pushing it, probably literally! hahaha
            Anyways we decided to be induced. Since it was labor day weekend, naturally everyone decided to have babies so we got pushed back a day and went in on the 4th instead of the 3rd, which was a bummer since we had drove down their only to find out they were full and we had to come back home. We were told to call in the morning on the 4th, when we did we were told they were full and it probably wouldn't be until that evening or the next morning. We were totally bummed and weren't sure if Aaron should go to work or what we should do, but then they called like an hour after and said to come in. So we got there at about 1:30. After a half an hour later and 4 sticks in the arm, yes FOUR, she finally had the IV going and the Pitocin was started. I thought that because Jocee came so fast that once the Pitocin was going I would have dilated a lot faster but sadly that was not the case. I was at a three when we got there and when the doctor got there at 6 I was still at a three. He broke my water and they just kept upping the Petocin. At 9 they checked me and I was still at a three, but then she said a four just to say there was progression.

       During this time Aaron and I were totally getting lost into our show "Lost"... auh nice one right! We also had Laurie, Aaron's oldest brothers wife, come and visit us, she is a nurse so she was reading my contractions and being sweet at keeping me company. I really loved having her their, she is just fun and kept us laughing and breathing since the contractions were getting harder and harder. I wasn't getting anywhere though so I asked for an epidural at 9 and seriously 5 minutes later they were there ready, I was super impressed since in the past it has taken them close to 20! After I got the epidural I was super tired and was kind of freaking out that my whole left side of my body felt paralyzed and I could move my right. I was starting to panic, its weird, I almost felt claustrophobic, sounds weird but I promise it felt weird! So at 11:00 the nurse came in to check me and I was only at a 5. I think that was making me panic to because I didn't want to feel the epidural all night, I just wanted Paxton to come out so I could feel normal again, and eat cause I was starving too! Anyways at 11:20 I started feeling like I needed to push. The nurse came in and sure enough I was at a 10. She called the doctor and I had to wait for him to come in. I remember being at this point with Ryan and really freaking out cause I needed to push and it hurting. I remember like really panicking and crying, but I feel like I really handled myself well this time. I wish I could liven up the story and say I punched Aaron out or swore at the nurse, so sorry to disappoint, cause for the first time in child birth I felt like I was in control. yay me!
     Anyways about 15 minutes later the doctor got there, I still had to wait for him to get his gloves and scrub top thing on, but as soon as he was ready I pushed once and he was out. Okay maybe it was like one and a half, but it was fast! The doctor put him right on my stomach, which I got to say was kind of weird. Normally they kind of clean the baby off first then hand them to me, but he just put him right on me, I thought it was great don't get me wrong, he just felt weird and gooey! Anyways he was fine and healthy and the newest little addition to the Burk family.


1 comment:

Josh, Shauna, Allison, Brynlee said...

Congratulations! He is adorable! I totally understand what you mean about it being weird when they place the baby on you without cleaning them first. Nathan was the 1st baby I was able to hold right away and as much as I loved it at the same time I felt bad thinking he really needed washed off! :)