So I was on Facebook one day and noticed a post from Hilary Weeks. She had posted a link to her blog that talked about her daughter being affected by Red 40. She talked about some of the symptoms her daughter had and it sounded somewhat like what we have dealt with, with Ryan. She had done some research and posted this on her blog-
“Red 40 is a commonly used food coloring dye added to a variety of products. While it may make food esthetically pleasing in appearance, it can cause a negative reaction in those who consume it.
Children are most often the ones who have sensitivity to red 40, whether their parents have realized it or not. Reactions include temper tantrums, hyperactivity, aggressive behavior, uncontrollable crying and screaming, kicking, nervousness, dizziness, inability to concentrate and sit still among other findings. Physically you may get frequent headaches or migraines, upset stomach and feel ill after ingesting this additive. Often when Red 40 is eliminated from the child’s diet a remarkable change is noticed immediately."
I first noticed something a while ago when we bought some fruit snacks, and the symptoms underlined were exactly what was happening. I just thought it was the sugar, we don't really buy fruit snacks a lot. Then last week Aaron brought home some left over pizza and fruit punch from work well I'm sure you can guess what happened... Then I read this and thought this really probably IS affecting him. We don't have fruit snacks, or fruit punch anymore and after a couple days he goes back to sweet Ryan, that listens and doesn't attack his sisters. However I realized that Red 40 is in some cereals that we have, like the Strawberry frosted bites, and in yogurts, and in juices like Tampico that we like.... So we are starting to stay away from those things and anything with Red 40.
I also noticed that if we just eat healthy we can avoid this as well. We were doing so good at eating eggs, or oatmeal, or cream of wheat, just more healthy choices rather than cereal. But since I have been slacking I have noticed all of our attitudes have spiraled downward, along with our energy.... I guess this is a testimony of the Word of Wisdom. If we take care of our bodies by feeding it healthy foods, we will be healthy.
Thursday, May 17, 2012
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment