When I first got pregnant with Brookie it seemed like that was when I did my shopping around on what kind of mother I wanted to be. I remember watching moms and talking to my own mom and trying to figure out what things I would do and things I wouldn't do. I may have already talked about this before, but it is often on my mind. I used to go and talk to my mom ALL the time, and I remember a specific time when I told her just a few of my findings....
1st- I remember telling her that I used to clean for a lady that had six kids, her house was always crazy messy, and her laundry room was piled mile high.... I was not going to be like this lady. I was going to have a nice clean home, and laundry was going to get done, be folded, AND put away, and I was always going to iron Aaron's shirts for work.
2nd- We had some older friends with kids and I noticed that in their engagement/wedding/family fun pictures the wife always looked so pretty, but sometimes when I would see them around they didn't look so "hot"... I was not going to be like that.... I was always going to have my hair done, makeup on, and dress as cute as I could for my husband... poor Aaron...
3rd- Yes the children situation... I was going to have the cutest, cleanest, sweetest kids. Not trying to brag, but I did score in the cute department, and my kids are very sweet... but the cleanest.... they are not. I would love to someday, and hopefully soon, just get my nights in order to bathe my kids every night, or at least every other night, but right now its just easier to make excuses why I can't... I am doing good at getting them clean for Sunday though...
I know what you all are thinking... but lets be honest we have all thought these things. I go back thinking about all those things that I said I was going to do and No, I have not given up on those high hopes, I am just a little slow to figuring out how to juggle things that aren't so important, with things that are most important. To those of you who are incredamom.... WELL DONE!! Please share with me your secrets! Now I didn't just go around judging all mother kind of all their faults, I did learn great things but I will just share one for right now that I am still trying to master.
CAPTURING THOSE "OH MY GOSH" MOMENTS...
I am sure all of you know those moments when your kids get into things or do things that when you find them your blood is boiling and your trying not to lose your temper and just scream and yell. I feel like I will master this with my grand-kids. I understand fully that these are those learning moments, where you can teach your children, and where you can learn to laugh at those crazy moments. I am trying, however there are those days where I just can't handle Jocee taking off her diaper anymore and going to the bathroom everywhere but the toilet, or Ryan grabbing anything that writes and coloring anything around him, especially walls that I just painted... Or when he peels paint off the wall that just got painted.. something draws him to paint. (as you will see in a sec!)
So I remember when I was pregnant with Brookie I was walking with my sis-in-law Katie, and she told me about a lady she visit taught whose son got into the fridge and took everything out and climbed in, she just laughed and decided to capture that moment. I remember thinking that that was the kind of mom I wanted to be like. I do love having those conference talks that remind to make those moments with my children. At least I am trying right?
Well I did have an "OH MY GOSH" moment this last week. Actually I would say Aaron had most of it, but I had to experience in it too. This last week I have been trying to paint Ryan and our little babies bedroom set. Right now I am working on painting the crib. I was at dance with Brookie and Aaron was at home with Ryan and Jocee. I got a phone call from Aaron, he sounded mad... that is really an understatement... but he told me I needed to come home. I asked him if everything was okay and he told me to just come home because the kids got into the paint. On the way home I started thinking about the situation and how it should be handled. I said a little prayer, and afterwards started laughing.... I thought "gosh, I wish I could have that reaction all the time!" And really I know I can... anyways I got home and there was in fact children covered in paint. Ryan and Jocee had tried helping me by painting the crib.. did I mention the paint was black? Ryan had tried pouring some paint in the paint tray and they grabbed the paint roller and brush and were trying to paint the crib. I guess that got a little boring so they decided to put their hands in the paint, then rub it in their hair and on their clothes... It looks like they had quite a lot of fun! Luckily it was in our TV room where there is tile floor and I did put down a paint sheet. They did put paint all over the paint sheet, a few paint streaks on the back of the couch, and a sweet little hand print on the wall.
When I got home the kids were crying, and Aaron was hosing them down. I managed to hurry and grab the camera and take a few pictures while trying to help Aaron feel better. I was also trying to teach the kids that that was a big no-no, but also trying to comfort them because they were pretty sad too. But here are a few pictures capturing the "OH MY GOSH" MOMENT....
I just kept thinking about these two sweet kids that really are just innocent. They were just drawn to something, but isn't my fault for leaving it out, and the paint lid not closed enough. They just saw an opportunity to have some fun. Aaron was really not happy, and it took him the night to cool off, but I want to take this moment and learn from it. I want to be able to say that I took these "OH MY GOSH" moments and handled them well.
I think about the Young Women that I am teaching, they probably look at me and think of those things that I remember telling my mom I wasn't going to do, but I do want to be a good example and for them to think of things that I did do right and say they want to do those things. I want my own kids to think that I was a good example to them of being a good mom. Its hard work, and it never stops, but I signed up for the challenge as soon as I started having kids.
I would truly love to look hot for my husband ALL the time, and have such a spotless home, and have clean kids all the time that act proper everywhere we go, and I will someday, I 'm not giving up hope on that, I just have had help realizing what is more important. My kids are wonderful in helping teach me what is truly important in this life!
.jpg)



2 comments:
Kenzie, you are awesome to handle this moment this way! They are going to love these pictures when they're older. :)
I've really enjoyed your posts lately. Good job. :)
Amen!!! Thannk you for this post, MacKenzie!! i loved it!! You are awesome!
Post a Comment